OnSide Youth Zones is a charity with one simple aim…to build a network of 21st Century Youth Clubs, giving young people, safe and inspiring places to go in their leisure time. Young people need our help now more than ever before. Whether it’s a lack of ambition or qualifications, or negative behaviour and attitudes, the current childhood crisis is real and well documented. OnSide Youth Zones are designed to give young people aged 8–19 years old (25 for those with a disability) somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to in their leisure time; occupying their bodies and minds with fun activities, learning new skills and socialising in a safe, positive way. Youth Zones are there for young people in deprived areas, where the alternative for many is spending their evenings on the streets or isolated in their bedrooms, surfing the internet.
The Business Administration Manager is integral to the set-up and running of the Youth Zone’s back office functions and is the secretariat for the Board of Trustees. Leading a team, this role will manage the day-to-day running of the organisation and key support personnel, in addition to providing HR and finance management.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To have overall responsibility for the management of the ‘back office’ functions of the Youth Zone, including ensuring resources and facilities are safe and adequate.
- To line manage the support teams which will include up to 8 direct reports and 15 indirect reports.
HR and Finance
- To manage the HR and payroll function for the Youth Zone: liaising with the HR provider / advisor to ensure compliance with all employment legislation and ensuring all staff are recruited in line with the Safer Recruitment guidelines.
- To set up and maintain employee personnel files, in line with appropriate employment and GDPR legislation.
- To provide accurate information to the Finance Manager on a monthly basis, including timely production of invoices and payroll data such as employee working hours, annual leave, deductions, etc.
- To manage and record all employee annual leave and to have overall responsibility for monitoring staff sickness absence in line with the Youth Zone’s policies and procedures.
- To develop, review and update policies and procedures, ensuring they are understood and observed, with the support of the Administration Managers’ network.
- To oversee the consistent implementation of financial procedures and protect the assets of the Youth Zone including procurement, cash handling, debtors and minimisation of waste.
Board of Trustees
- To provide a secretariat service to the Board of Trustees including attendance at Board meetings.
- To take an active role in the preparation of formal organisational reports, board packs and other external communications.
- To lead the team responsible for the SalesForce database, ensuring the GDPR guidelines are adhered to across all systems, and data processing and storage.
- To act as Personal Assistant to the Chief Executive.
- To liaise with and work alongside the OnSide support team to ensure the implementation of the Financial Regulations and wider Youth Zone best practice.
- To be an active member of the senior management team and deliver a focused, measurable contribution to the Youth Zone’s overall strategic plan, operating in line with Legacy’s and OnSide’s values and principles.
- To work within the performance framework of the Youth Zone and OnSide.
- To take a creative and enthusiastic approach to making the Youth Zone a valued facility in Croydon and a leader in its field.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Chief Executive.
- This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
- A willingness to cover events, holidays and staff absence.
A qualification relevant to the role is desirable
- High standard of organisation skills
- Ability to set-up, manage and use effectively office system and contact data bases
- Excellent communication skills with ability to establish a rapport and communicate effectively with stakeholders, at all levels and from all sectors
- Ability to work under pressure to cope with multiple demands and deadlines, work fast and to a consistently high standard
- Able to write fluently, think clearly and grasp new concepts quickly
- Fully IT literate including knowledge of MS Office
- Attention to detail and thorough approach
- Ability to work on own initiative and as a part of a team
It is essential to have knowledge and awareness of issues effecting young people, and desirable to have knowledge and awareness of the changing employment law landscape
- Enthusiasm and ability to contribute to the successful development of Youth Zone
- A willingness to work unsociable hours when required
- DBS clearance and committed to safeguarding children
Salary: Up to £30,000 dependent on experience
Holidays: 33 days including bank holidays