OnSide Youth Zones is a charity with one simple aim…to build a network of 21st Century Youth Clubs, giving young people, safe and inspiring places to go in their leisure time. Young people need our help now more than ever before. Whether it’s a lack of ambition or qualifications, or negative behaviour and attitudes, the current childhood crisis is real and well documented. OnSide Youth Zones are designed to give young people aged 8–19 years old (25 for those with a disability) somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to in their leisure time; occupying their bodies and minds with fun activities, learning new skills and socialising in a safe, positive way. Youth Zones are there for young people in deprived areas, where the alternative for many is spending their evenings on the streets or isolated in their bedrooms, surfing the internet.
The purpose of this role is to keep our young people safe by managing and maintaining the building, security systems and facilities effectively and efficiently. In addition, the post will ensure that Legacy is compliant with all health and safety regulations, including equipment, buildings, and the safe management of sub-contractors. This post will also directly manage the cleaning team to ensure that the building is pristine and ensure that all areas of the Youth Zone are open and safe for our young people as your priority.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To be responsible for general maintenance of the premises including; heating, lighting, plumbing and security systems. To carry out minor repairs, maintenance and installation work such as joinery and plumbing and appropriate painting and re-decorating across the Youth Zone when required.
- To implement planned maintenance, repair and renewal programmes.
- To be responsible for all service contracts including the monitoring and servicing of equipment.
- To establish systems carrying out and recording all necessary checks including; alarms, lighting, escape routes, security, building condition and equipment.
- To note, monitor and report any defects in the building and arranging for repairs within set budgets.
- To set up equipment and facilities for events in the Youth Zone to support youth worker staff with their internal and external requirements.
- To be responsible for the buildings entrance and other external areas, ensuring that there is always an excellent first impression of the Youth Zone.
- To immediately report any serious hazards to a senior manager.
- To communicate all facilities issues to relevant staff in a clear and timely manner.
- To register as one of the Key Holders for the Youth Zone and be the first point of contact on a rota basis in an emergency callout situation and to check and secure the Youth Zone premises after callout.
- To respond to and reset the alarm when required, liaising with the alarm company and police as necessary.
- To be available at unsocial hours or at weekends to deal with security problems, make emergency repairs or allow access to contractors.
- To supervise the cleaning staff, monitor standards of cleanliness and assist in cleaning as required, including compiling the work duties and rotas.
- To be responsible for ordering cleaning equipment and supplies.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the line manager.
- Building maintenance and/or management
- Supervision of staff
- Building management systems
- Use of cleaning equipment
It is essential to this roe, to have GCSE English and Maths or equivalent literacy and numeracy qualifications
- Excellent people skills/ the ability to establish good professional relationships with young people and adults
- Ability to carry out general repairs
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Ability to plan, organise, monitor, evaluate and prioritise work
- Working knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Working knowledge of fire safety regulations and COSHH
- Understanding of security systems
- A willingness to work unsociable hours as per the needs of the post
- DBS clearance and committed to safeguarding children