The Learning World Montessori in Croydon provides childcare to pre-school age children following Montessori based education. Dr. Maria Montessori believed that no human being is educated by another person. He must do it himself or it will never be done. A young child experience could be enriched by a classroom where, he could handle materials which would demonstrate basic educational information to him.
In a Montessori classroom, the equipments invite him/her to do this at his/her own periods of interest and readiness helping the child to reach his/her full potential. Montessori classroom has a carefully prepared environment with activity centres devoted to practical life exercises, sensorial material and academic materials, all of which the children are able to absorb through their inquiring mind and freedom to explore.
The Room Leader/Deputy Manager is a qualified childcare professional with responsibility for the day to-day running of their room and who can show leadership qualities in absence of the Nursery Manager. They perform an important role caring for children, maintaining a high-quality, stimulating learning environment, supervising staff and imparting their knowledge and skills to others. They are creative and reflective leaders able to implement new ideas and use a range of strategies to continually improve practice and support the management team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- To contribute to the creation of a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment for all children
- To be aware of Learning World Montessori policies and procedures and ensure these are adhered to
- To be responsible for the welfare of all children in your designated room, organising systems to ensure consistent, high-quality care
- To be vigilant and protect children from harm or abuse, reporting any concerns immediately – in accordance with child protection and whistleblowing policies
- To reflect on practice and routines, tailoring them to meet the individual needs of each child throughout the day
- To lead planning and the provision of a stimulating range of age-appropriate activities and ensuring your room is well-resourced and creatively set-up
- To lead observations and the assessment of children’s learning and development ensuring records are kept up-to-date, are of a high standard and are shared effectively – includes Individual Education Plans for children with Special Educational Needs.
- To develop genuine bonds with your key children and support and monitor colleagues to sensitively fulfil their key person responsibilities
- To work in partnership with all parents/carers, building and maintaining relationships that encourage trust, open communication and involvement in nursery life
- To work flexibly as part of the larger team, assisting and supporting colleagues wherever required, in order to ensure the smooth running of the company
- To be aware of the high profile of Learning World Montessori and refrain from irresponsible behaviour that could impact the company’s commercial success
- To attend reasonable out-of-working-hours activities, including training, staff meetings, parent’s evenings and special events
- To respect and value all colleagues, children and parents, encouraging a positive and diverse working environment
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Montessori experience is preferred, however we are willing to consider EYFS certification as well.
- An enhanced DBS check is required by Learning World Montessori before any appointment can be confirmed.
- NVQ Level 3 in Children’s Care Learning & Development, or equivalent
- High degree of integrity and empathy when dealing with children
- Leadership capabilities in absence of Manager
- Good verbal and written communicator
- Able to plan and provide age-appropriate activities
- Able to observe, assess and track children’s learning & development
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills
- Able to support and develop other team members
- Strong organisational skills
There are various hours available for this role, between 20-40 per week
If this role interests you, please apply below with just a few clicks!