Croydon is on the cusp of an unprecedented period of growth and revitalisation. The next five years will see over £3bn investment in the Borough, which will transform Croydon into a world class destination. Across the Borough, up to 9,500 new homes will be built, whilst a major public realm improvement programme and innovative high streets investment schemes will revitalise our vibrant local centres. The aim is simple – to create a series of places where people want to be. This is your opportunity to be at the heart of this exciting time, developing and delivering projects which will transform the borough.
As a Transport Planning Apprentice you'll use your interest in transport to help Croydon manage the level of growth planned for the borough. You'll assist in assessing the impacts of development on the local transport network, tackling local air quality issues and the Climate Emergency, and promoting cycling and walking. Ultimately, this role is about working passionately and collaboratively as part of a forward thinking and innovative team, to help us achieve our ambitious and challenging targets.
- To be a flexible and supportive member of the team
- To maintain strict confidentiality at all times
- To attend and take part in team meetings and performance reviews
- To participate in relevant training programmes as required by the council
- To actively and enthusiastically work towards developing your skills and knowledge, as agreed in your learning plan, and attend all training supplied whenever necessary.
- To provide excellent customer service to answer/deal with queries, by phone and email, obtaining input from colleagues as required to provide a full response.
- To assess impacts of potential transport measures e.g. bike lanes, zebra crossings
- To consider implications of planning applications for developments e.g. new flats.
- To make sure new developments minimise impact on the road network and promote opportunities for sustainable transport.
- To work on school travel plans to help students make safe, sustainable journeys.
- To support the successful delivery of Road Safety education, training and publicity.
- To support successful Travel Demand Management and Transport Policy initiatives, including those designed to improve local air quality and reduce carbon emissions.
- To support the Project Management of sustainable transport scheme designs – notably walking, cycling and public transport, and parking management schemes.
- To develop consultation materials to ask residents what they think of our proposals.
To join, you'll be a good communicator, have proven IT skills (basic Microsoft Office packages), and feel comfortable meeting and dealing with members of the public and councillors. Most importantly, you’ll need a keen interest in transport.
- Essential - Minimum of 5 GSCE’s or equivalent (this must include A – C in Maths and English Language or equivalent) and preferably Geography.
- Preferable – A level’s or equivalent qualification in a subject such as Geography, Environmental Science or similar subject.
- Essential - Competent user of computer software packages in particular Microsoft Office Packages
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Competent to process basic administrative tasks accurately following instructions
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to deliver and learn new tasks and work to deadlines
- Confidence and ability to establish effective working relationships
- To have an interest in transport matters and in pursuing a career in the transport sector