Shirley High School is a fully comprehensive multicultural school with proud traditions and high expectations for both students and staff. We have over 1000 students benefiting from our fabulous green site that creates a positive and friendly learning environment that challenges everyone to produce their best everyday.
The successful candidate will be: Liaising daily with the Site Manager on Site Management issues concerned with the fabric and grounds of the school and the security of the school premises; Assist in the maintenance of any machinery or plant within the school; Help maintain the internal and external fabric of the school’s premises as a safe working environment
Responsibilities and Duties
- Shift work, 6am to 2pm and 2pm to 10pm (swap alternate weeks)
- Opening and closing the school, including all appropriate gates, windows, doors and fire escapes for the purpose of school use, cleaning, maintenance, emergency services and when required, lettings and out-of-hours school functions.
- Cleaning sickness, etc and spillage’s as required.
- Reporting all defects that require specialist repair
- Maintaining the school fields to a high standard, including grass cutting where appropriate, with triple mower, raking, sowing and turfing of worn areas.
- Ensuring all electrical and gas emergencies are dealt with promptly and safely as appropriate.
- General site supervision, including prevention of trespass, ensuring that unauthorised parking does not occur, and in, conjunction with the Principal, ensuring the safe use of the school site at all times.
- Assisting in undertaking the annual fire risk assessment.
- Being responsible for child protection and promoting the welfare of all students and staff, ensuring that they are protected from harm. All staff have a duty of care to ensure that if there are any concerns relating to the welfare or safety of a child their concern is immediately relayed to the Designated Person with responsibility for safeguarding children.
- Treating all information acquired through your employment, both formally and informally, in strict confidence.
- D.I.Y. skills to undertake day-to-day repairs and maintenance of building, including the knowledge and operation of the school heating system.
- Understanding of the principles of health & safety in a school environment including COSHH.
- Ability to manage own time effectively and demonstrate initiative including establishing priorities within own workload.
- Ability to adhere to working procedures and policies within the school environment.
- Ability to operate as part of a team or individually as required.
- Ability to perform the physical tasks required by the post, including lifting, carrying and pushing various equipment to undertake the duties of the post.
- Ability to carry out a range of administrative tasks, including stocktaking.
- Display a conscientious and logical approach to the variety of tasks necessary for the smooth running of the school.
- An understanding of health & safety requirements
- Take part in the school’s performance management system.
- Enhanced DBS Check
- Enquiries contact Oscar 07732076196